Child Sexual Exploitation

Child sexual exploitation (CSE) is a form of sexual abuse and happens when a young person is manipulated or forced into taking part in sexual activity. It might be in exchange for presents, money, alcohol or simply emotional attention. It can happen to any child, from any background or community, both boys and girls, online or offline.

Watch the video to find out how you can spot the signs


If you have any concerns about a child then you have a responsibility to report it.

If you believe someone is in immediate danger then call 999

If you have concerns but do not believe anyone is in immediate danger there are a number of other ways you can report.


South Yorkshire Police – call 101 (non-emergency number)

You can report to your local neighbourhood police team

To report concerns about a child to Rotherham Council

Other Local and National services where you can get help and support

For more information from Rotherham Council

For more information from South Yorkshire Police

Report anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
or online at

Say Something
National helpline run by the National Working Group Network through the charity Missing People
Call or text: 116 000

Think U Know
Information, advice and support for young people

Rotherham Abuse Conselling Service
Free professional counselling for men and women who have experienced rape, sexual abuse or domestic abuse.

GROW provides a range of services to young people affected by child sexual exploitation and support to their families.

Rotherham Rise
Rotherham Rise (formerly Women's Refuge) works with young people (ages 12-18) and women (age 18 plus) to provide family support and counselling.

The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
A one-stop service for people of any age who have experienced rape or sexual assault.

Barnardos Reachout Service
A range of services to support children and young people in Rotherham who have been or who are at risk of being sexually exploited.

The NSPCC is a national organisation that can signpost you to local support and advice services.